Try this favorite holiday recipe.
- 1 package 2-layer-size cake mix
- 1 – 1 1/2cups frosting
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate or semi-sweet candy coating
- 12 ounces vanilla candy coating
- Candy sprinkles,
- Licorice strings
- Gather ingredients. You can use any flavor cake and frosting. In our example we used chocolate cake and frosting with both vanilla and chocolate candy coating.
- Line trays or baking sheets with waxed paper.
- Cut the licorice into small pieces to make ornament ‘hooks’.
- Prepare the chocolate cake mix according to the package directions. You can use any size cake pan and time it according to instructions. Cool the cake.
- Remove the cooled cake from the pan and crumble it into a mixing bowl. Add chocolate frosting. Mix with spoon to combine and then use electric mixer on low speed until thoroughly mix.
- Use a small scoop to drop 1 1/2-inch mounds onto the prepared trays; roll the mounds into balls and freeze for about 30 minutes.
- In a small microwave-safe dish heat 1 ounce of the coating on 50% power for about 60 seconds or until the candy is melted and smooth. Stir but don’t over stir.
- With a butter knife slice a small hole in the top of the cake ball. Bend the licorice string so ends are touching and dip the ends into melted chocolate (or vanilla) and poke the licorice into the cake balls. Then gently pinch the cake ball back together around the opening to seal the licorice hook into the ball. Freeze cake balls for an additional 30 to 60 minutes.
- Place small batches of chocolate and/or vanilla candy coating in microwave safe bowl and heat over medium-low heat until melted and smooth, stirring occasionally. Dip the balls into the melted candy coating. Allow the excess to drip off and then place the cake balls on the waxed paper-lined trays or baking sheets.
- While balls are still wet, decorate with cookie decorations – candy balls and candy shapes. You can also use add coloring to the vanilla candy coating in small batches and place in a small envelope with the corner cut off to decorate with colored icing.
- Transfer the cake balls to storage containers and store, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Take the cake balls out of the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving for best temperature.
Looking for catering options this holiday season? Check out our latest menu options!